Thursday, December 18, 2008

Can it get any worse?

This week has probably been the worst week I've had since I deployed. Remember Kibbles? Well, my higher ups found out we had him and were feeding him so they told us to get rid of him. We were conflicted on what to do and what the right thing to do was. I felt that we should just take him somewhere like a field and let him go. He was a stray and I thought we would be fine. I wasn't alone in that thought either. Then there were others who thought it would be more humane to put him down. I don't agree with that unless the animal is deathly ill and there is no hope of recovery, in a lot of pain and won't recover or is a threat to anyone. So, we let him go inside Flintstone on Monday. It was sad, but we thought he would be ok.

On Tuesday morning (Monday night for folks back home) I called my husband, like I always do, and right away I could tell that something wasn't right. He told me that my mom had called earlier and, since I called him at the same time everyday, had wanted him to let me know that my grandma, Sharon, had died. She wasn't ill so it came as a surprise. A circuit overloaded in her bedroom and it caught on fire. She didn't make it out and died from smoke inhalation. One of the hardest things about this (at least for me) is that she had been found in the hallway, which to me means she was trying to get out. I can't imagine what had to be going through her mind. The other hardest thing about this is that I can't be there with my mom to help her through this. Sharon's relationship with everyone wasn't the greatest, but that doesn't make it any less difficult to go through.

And I thought my week could only get better from there. Boy, was I wrong! I've always had a soft spot when it comes to animals....especially cats. Kibbles was brought back to the hill today. One of the people who let him go went back to see if they could find him and when they did, brought him back. We were all thinking that he was going to stay around outside and not be aloud in the shack with the phones like he was before. My commander was coming to the hill for an inventory so we actually put him in the SUV and I was going to drive around for an hour with him in the car. I had to pick someone up along the way and she thought it would be best if we just put him down. She didn't want everyone to get into trouble should the higher ups find out about him again. Had I known I would be driving Kibbles to his death I would have made someone else go, but as I was already driving I didn't have much of a choice. Once we got to the vet I told her that I was staying outside. I couldn't watch Kibbles go through that! Poor thing thought he was back home with everyone only to end up euthanized. I got some really cute pictures before she took him inside the vet. I'll put them up when I get them on my computer.

Needless to say this wasn't a very pleasant week. And I still haven't received my package from home that has my new laptop in it!! My husband sent it last Wednesday. All of the other packages I've received have been here in a week! It's driving me nuts!!!!

Ok, I think I'm done. I just want this week to be over and done with......AND I WANT MY PACKAGE!!

Love and hugs to everyone! :)

3 comments:

Deb said...

Ren I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. :(....... I didnt know till reading this. I havent talked to Cory and the kids for a few days...
I was nice reading through all your blogs... thanks for resending me the link...cute pics and it makes me sad too about the kittys...
Love to you From Jim and Deb in COLD minnesota

corylvngstn said...

I'm sorry your week hasn't gone so well for you. As I was reading this I got choked up all over again. :( I really hope your computer gets there soon. We still have a few more days until Christmas though, I think it'll get there before then.

I miss you so much! I love you!

tatnlace said...

I love you more than you can know. You are my sunshine! May you be filled with His peace beyond all understanding. Love Mom.